Moscow's major airports are located outside of the outer ring highway, MkAD, reasonably far from the center. All airports are connected by public transportation through the Airport Transportation Hub called Aerovokzal () in northwest Moscow and from other points in the city. It is time consuming but inexpensive. Taxis and private airport transportation services are quite reliable, much quicker and will come at really weird hours of the morning or night to fetch you. They are also much more costly. If possible, a friend with a car is best.
Add 20-30 minutes to your travel time when trying to get out of Moscow during Rush Hour. The road construction at MkAD and Leningradskoe Shosse is finally completed ending a major source of delays.
All costs are given in dollars even though they are payable in rubles which are about 31.30 rubles for $1 on May, 2002.
GETTING TO AEROVOKZAL
Aerovokzal is a central point for transportation by bus to all airports.
Located 12 km northwest of central Moscow on Leningradskiy Prospect between Metros Dinamo & Aeroport at what used to be the Central Moscow Airport. See AIRPORTS.
Services: restaurants, cafe, cinema, hairdressers, shops with food and other goods, ticket agencies and hotels nearby (Aerostar).
Express Buses to Airports:
* To Sheremetevo-1 & 2 takes 45 mins, runs from 8:30 to 22:00. It stops at Metro Voykovskaya , Sheremetevo-1 and then Sheremetevo-2.
* To Domodedovo takes 1 hr. and 40 mins, runs every hour from 3:35 to 19:35.
* To Vnukovo takes 1 hr. and 10 mins, runs from 5:10 to 1:40.
* To Bykovo takes 1 hr. and 20 mins. and runs every 60 mins from 5:35 to 19:35.
Taxis to Airports. Taxi stand is right in front of Aerovokzal. They operate from 5 am to 1 am, and in May 2002, cost $30-50 to Sheremetevo, $30 to Vnukovo, and $30-40 to either Domodedovo or Bykovo. Intourtrans Transfer and tranzit services at Moscow airports and railway stations Petrovka ul., 15/13, 928-02-78, Tel 578-56-33, Tel 578-56-14.
GETTING TO SHEREMETEVO-1
Located 30 Km (19 miles) northwest of Moscow on M-10 (a continuation of Leningradskoe shosse), E-95 (right above DD1)
Taxi from Kremlin to airport: 25 min., $40-50
* From Aerovokzal the Airport Express bus takes about 45 min. and runs from 8:30 to 22:00. Its route is Aerovokzal, Metro Voykovskaya, Sheremetevo-1, down to Sheremetevo-2, back to Metro Voykovskaya and then back to Aerovokzal.
* From Metro Voykovskaya the Airport Express bus takes 30 min.
* From Metro Planernaya, Bus 517 every 15-20 min. takes 45 min. and runs from 5:30 - 00:30.
* From Metro Rechnoy Vokzal, Bus 851 takes 35 min. and runs from 5:30-00:30. The Express Bus to Sheremetevo 2 every 30 min. takes 15 minutes.
GETTING TO SHEREMETEVO-2
Located 30 Km (19 miles) northwest of Moscow on M-10 (or Leningradskoe Shosse). See insert on the map (right above DD1).
Parking at arrivals: 100 meters from the entrance $2/hour, 500 meters from entrance $1/hour.
Taxi from Kremlin to airport: 25 min., about $50-60.
* From Aerovokzal the Airport Express bus takes about 45 min., and runs from 8:30 to 22:00. It stops at Metro Voykovskaya, Sheremetevo-1 and then Sheremetevo-2.
* From Metro Planernaya, Bus 517 takes 45 mins. and runs from 6:00 to 23:10
* From Metro Rechnoy Vokzal, Bus 851 takes 55 mins. and runs from 5:30-23:10. Stops first at Sheremetevo-1 and then Sheremetevo-2. The bus stop at Sheremetevo-2 is in the far right corner of the parking lot, 200 meters from the central terminal.
* From Rechnoy Vokzal, Express Bus runs from 7:00-22:00 every 30 min., takes 30 min.
* Taxi - $25 and takes 15min
* Marshrutnoe taxi - N48 runs from 6:45-21:45 every 10-12 min, takes 20 min. and costs 15R.
GETTING TO MOSCOW FROM SHEREMETEVO
The taxi cartel ruthlessly controls taxi-pick up at Sheremetevo 2. They will usually settle for $12 to the center of Moscow - still highway robbery. Solution? If you have little or no baggage, walk 200 meters to the bus terminal and take the bus for about $1.00. If you have baggage, arrange for someone to meet you or order a taxi from the Center (see TAXIS/LIMOUSINES) that will meet your flight and greet you with a big sign with your name on it. Wear or carry something distinctive and tell them what it will be. If you miss each other, listen carefully to the "pages " or request a page to let your driver know where you are.
GETTING TO BYKOVO AIRPORT
Located 30 miles southeast on the Route A102 to Zhukovskiy (to the right of JJ6).
* From Aerovokzal, the Airport Express Bus takes 1 hr. 20 mins and runs every hour from 5:35 to 19:35.
* From Kazanskiy Railroad Station (at Metro Komsomolskaya), take the "elektrichka " train in the direction of Platforma 47 Kilometer. It takes about 50 min and runs every 15-20 minutes from 5:07 to 24:06. Get off at the Bykovo Station. Bykovo Airport is a 12 minute walk (400 meters).
* From M. Vykhino - it takes 20 min., from M. Aviamotornaya - 40 min.
* From Kazanskaya RR Station the taxi will take you there in 15-20 min
GETTING TO DOMODEDOVO AIRPORT
Located 48 km south of Moscow on Kashirskoe Shosse off of highway M4-M6 (below HH7).
Taxi from Kremlin to airport: 60 min., $30-40. From Aerovokzal about 45 min, from Metro Domodedovskaya is 30 mins.
* From Aerovokzal the Airport Express bus, takes 1 hr. 40 min. and runs about every 15 to 30 minutes from 4:35-2:00, stops at Kaluzhskaya Metro.
* From Metro Domodedovskaya. Take the Metro from Metro Teatralnaya to Metro Domodedovskaya (38 min), then...From Metro Domodedovskaya the 405 Express bus takes 40 mins, leaves when full and runs from 6:00-24:00. Private Express Bus (Transturservice, 393-89-23) runs every 30 minutes from 6:30 to 24:00.
* From Paveletskiy RR Station to Station Aeroport the "elektrichka " train takes 1 hr. 10 min. and runs from 6:41 -22:33. Get off at Station Aeroport. Taxi from Aerovokzal about 45 min, from Metro Domodedovskaya is 30 mins.
GETTING TO MYACHKOVO CARGO AIRPORT
Myachkovo is a cargo airport. Located in Lyubertsy, Moscow Oblast in the eastern suburb of Moscow.
GETTING TO VNUKOVO AIRPORT
Located 30 km southwest of Moscow on the Borovskoe Shosse road (to Kiev) BB7.
Taxis take 15 min and cost about $30.
* From Aerovokzal the Express Bus takes 60 min. and runs from 5:10 to 1:40
* From Metro Yugo-Zapadnaya Express Bus takes 20 min. and runs every 20 min. from 7:00 to 22:00.
Bus 611 takes 40 min. and runs every 9-20min. (from 7 till 9 a.m.), every 11-15 min (from 9 till 4 a.m.), every 9-13min (from 4 a.m. till 7 a.m.), every 19 min (after 7 a.m.).
* Marshrutnoe taxi N 45 takes 20 min. and runs as soon as it is full.
GETTING BETWEEN AIRPORTS
Between Sheremetevo-1 and Sheremetevo-2
* Bus 551 goes from Sheremetevo-1 to Sheremetevo-2 (12 minutes) to Metro Rechnoy Vokzal (32 min.) and back to Sheremetevo-1 (44 min.).
* Bus 517 for eight stops. Route goes from Sheremetevo-2 to Sheremetevo-1 (18 min.) to Metro Planernaya and returns.
* Express buses to Aerovokzal go from Sheremetevo-1 to 2 and on to Metro Voykovskaya. Express buses also go to Metro Rechnoy Vokzal from Sheremetevo-1 to Sheremetevo-2 and back to Rechnoy Vokzal. The cost is about 90 cents, the time from Sheremetevo-1 and 2 is about 18 min.
Between Domodedovo & Vnukovo Airports. The Express Bus takes 50 mins. and runs from 5:48 to 4:00
Between Vnukovo and Bykovo Airports. The Express bus takes 1 hr and 30 mins. and runs from 10:00 to 20:00